Have you ALWAYS had a complicated relationship with food? Did you learn at an early age how to cope with your emotions using food and cannot imagine living a life with food peace? This episode is for you! Julie and her guest Christy Harrison from the podcast Food Psych discuss possible solutions.
- You are NOT too damaged to heal your relationship with food.
- Remember and appreciate the functionality of food bringing a way to cope with chaos and trauma.
- Appreciate the subtle hungers.
- Humans are adaptive.
- Find professionals who are body positive, understand eating disorders and a trauma specialist.
- Food may be like a security blanket. Before yanking it away, be curious about why the coping mechanism is there…that’s where the healing begins.
- Self compassion is the foundation for food peace.
- Your cravings for disordered eating may be from an unmet need. What was just happening? What do I really need?
- Link to subscribe to the weekly FREE Food Peace Newsletter. It is sent out every Tuesday morning and no spam EVER.
- Christy Harrison <– Check out her FAB Intuitive Eating Online Course. It is made for you in mind.
- Food Psych podcast
- Intuitive Eating Counselors
- Body Positive providers
- Episode 27 a letter writer describes hiding under the kitchen table eating food. Others have been there too.
- 8 Keys to Trauma Recovery by Babette Rothschild
- Your Child’s Weight by Ellyn Satter
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America
- Barbara Birsinger RD
- Eating Disorder Dietitians
- Julie Dillon RD blog
Do you have a complicated relationship with food? I want to help! Send your Dear Food letter to LoveFoodPodcast@gmail.com.