Have you been struggling with bingeing? Do you feel alone, and find yourself eating in secret, feeling ashamed? Listen now for some insight into this difficult food peace challenge.
This episode is brought to you by Pursuing Private Practice Masterclass.
Ready to start doing things your way and kiss the corporate world goodbye?
Episode’s Key Points:
- Binge eating disorder is the MOST common eating disorder experience! One third of people who seek out weight loss treatment are actually struggling with binge eating disorder.
- Pursuing weight loss actually makes bingeing WORSE!
- Healing your relationship with food is messy, but it’s a beautiful mess, and it’s worth it.
- What exactly does “overweight” even mean?? I say over what!
- Weight gain around puberty is COMPLETELY normal! But unfortunately we often shame girls for this.
- When the world tells us small bodies are valued and larger bodies are unacceptable, it lays the groundwork for the binge eating experience.
- Getting help can be the first step to peeling away the shame associated with bingeing.
- What’s the difference between a “healing” relationship with food vs a “healthy” one? A healing relationship with food helps us walk away from the perfectionism and the black and white thinking around food.
- Kari Anderson from Green Mountain at Fox Run joins to talk more about binge eating!
- Sometimes we use food to try to calm our anxiety… and that’s okay! You don’t need to feel ashamed about it. Be compassionate to yourself instead!
- Trusting yourself around food again is a huge step towards healing your relationship with food. Food can have a sense of freedom, rather than fear.
- It is SO important to validate the role and the function of food in our lives… look at it as a coping mechanism that DID serve you, until it didn’t anymore. We may even have to grieve our previous relationship with food in order to move onto the next version.
- We live in a world where we demonize our food choices constantly!! Our culture doesn’t help when someone is trying to heal their relationship with food.
- We have to jump off the diet train!! The restrictive mindset CREATES the weight “problem.”
- We should never limit the choices in our lives because of our weight!
- You have a choice in your eating behaviors.
- If funds are preventing you from getting the help you need to find recovery, there are scholarships you can apply for!
- Link to subscribe to the weekly FREE Food Peace Newsletter. It is sent out every Tuesday morning and no spam EVER. By signing up, I will also send you Love Food’s Season 1’s Food Peace Syllabus.
- Start your private practice! Click here and use code BOSS to get 10% off Jennifer McGurk’s Pursuing Private Practice Masterclass!
- Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat for Binge Eating by Kari Anderson and Michelle May —> This week’s Food Peace Syllabus addition
- Am I Hungry?
- Green Mountain at Fox Run and the Women’s Center for Binge & Emotional Eating
- Contact Kari, this week’s Love Food expert guest
- Eating Disorder Dietitian
- Julie Dillon RD blog
Do you have a complicated relationship with food? I want to help! Send your Dear Food letter to LoveFoodPodcast@gmail.com.