Do you feel like you’ve done everything to tackle your struggle with binge eating? Is there a constant battle in your head over cravings? Listen now to hear some solutions on how to overcome this food peace struggle.
This episode is brought to you by my FREE roadmap: Your First 3 Steps Towards Food Peace with PCOS. You CAN make peace with food even with PCOS and I want to show you how. Join our Facebook group to get extra support!
Episode’s Key Points:
- The recovery process is NOT linear, and it takes TIME.
- Isabel Foxen Duke joins to talk about dieting, bingeing, and more!
- Physical restriction is NOT THE SAME as emotional and psychological restriction… even if you’re eating “enough,” bingeing can still occur if you feel mental restriction. Diet mentality is the bigger thing to break down when trying to break free from bingeing!
- Cravings are neutral things!! We don’t need to feel shame about them.
- Emotional eating and binge eating are two different things! Emotional eating is when we eat something in order to make ourselves feel better. It’s a coping mechanism to distract, comfort, soothe or avoid a feeling. Binge eating, on the other hand, is a reaction to the diet mentality. Isabel calls is reactionary eating! For example, when you tell yourself you can’t have “x” food, all you want is “x” food, and then it results in a binge.
- Food is never black and white!
- Just because we think we’re eating “enough,” we actually may not be because we live in a restrictive, diet-culture world.
- Diet mentality tells us that there’s a right and wrong way to eat. Giving up dieting is giving up an attitude around food that categorizes certain food behaviors as safe and others as unsafe.
- “The Don’t Binge Eat Diet:” when you’re desperately trying to avoid and overcome the urge to binge, which only perpetuates a binge. Think about a bow and arrow… the farther back you pull the bow and the more tension your build, the farther that bow will fly in the other direction when you inevitably let go!
- There’s NOTHING wrong with emotional eating!! The only reason why people fear emotional eating is because we fear getting fat.
- Emotional eating turns into a binge when we decide that the action we’re doing is not okay and feel shameful about it.
- Quitting dieting doesn’t just mean you’ve put down the calorie counts and the weight loss goals… it means we leave behind the “right” and “wrong” with food.
- When we struggle with food, we have to ask, where is the restriction happening?? Where is the diet mentality hiding?
- Not dieting is a physical AND emotional issue! 90% of recovering from dieting is about the diet mentality and diet attitudes, and only 10% of it is about the physical.
- If you are clinging to ANY kind of wagon, you will inevitably fall off!
- Permission to binge is step one!!
- It’s time to overcome emotional restriction.
- You have permission to be where you are right now, and to meet your needs in however you need to.
- Link to subscribe to the weekly FREE Food Peace Newsletter. It is sent out every Tuesday morning and no spam EVER. By signing up, I will also send you Love Food’s Season 1’s Food Peace Syllabus.
- Isabel’s video training series, Stop Fighting Food —> This week’s Food Peace syllabus addition #1
- Isabel’s blog —> This week’s Food Peace syllabus addition #2
- Connect with Isabel by getting on her email list!
- Eating Disorder Dietitian
- Julie Dillon RD blog
Do you have a complicated relationship with food? I want to help! Send your Dear Food letter to LoveFoodPodcast@gmail.com.