Does the non-diet approach make diabetes worse?? How does intuitive eating fit when a person has real health concerns are impacted by food choices? Listen now to get my tips on how to grapple with this part of the Food Peace™ journey. Special guest expert is Megrette Fletcher, diabetes AND mindful eating dietitian expert.
This episode is brought to you by my online course, Your Step-by-Step Guide to PCOS and Food Peace™. Sign up now to get on the waitlist for the next enrollment period in April, and receive my FREE road map: Your First 3 Steps Toward Food Peace™ with PCOS. You CAN make peace with food even with PCOS and I want to show you how.
This episode is also brought to you by my new Fat-Positive Dietitian t-shirt and mug! All proceeds go to funding this labor of love to keep it as a free resource for you. Check out the whole Love Food Podcast store here. All T-Shirt designs have an option with sizes ranging from XS to 5X.
Product links may be affiliate. If you click and make a purchase, there’s no extra cost to you.
The transcribed episode can be found here.
Episode’s Key Points:
- Black and white thinking is a cognitive distortion. Real like, and real health, isn’t like that at all. Being a weight-inclusive, fat-positive, non-diet dietitian is NOT an approach that harms health.
- Gastric bypass does NOT rid the world of fatphobia! The answer to this problem is a combo solution: to help people heal their relationship with food AND with their bodies. Part of this means healing the cultural fatphobia our world is currently struggling with.
- Megrette Fletcher joins us to talk about medical nutrition therapy!
- Moving away from a job that doesn’t support our passions and values is an amazing step.
- The culture surrounding diabetes is super saturated by diet culture, and so moving out of the diet-centric paradigm in diabetes work is hard! Before insulin was invented, restriction was the only way we knew how to manage the disease.
- We need to pause and think, why are we so afraid of nourishing the body?
- When we teach diabetes from a Health at Every Size perspective, we address every body as an individual.
- We’re ALL marinating in diet culture, and people who struggle with diabetes exist in a diet-culture pressure cooker. We don’t cause diabetes as it’s a genetic disease, but so much of diet culture blames the individual and individual food and exercise choices.
- Compassion is KEY for diabetes care, as there really isn’t a cure and it’s not a disease anyone asks for. It’s a genetic condition that’s VERY complex.
- The goal needs to be to nourish the body, period. Where our weight ends up doesn’t matter!
- No matter what your body size, you need to eat! We need more food than we think, and we’re allowed to nourish our bodies.
- Julie Dillon RD blog
- Link to subscribe to the weekly FREE Food Peace™ Newsletter. It is sent out every Tuesday morning. By signing up, I will also send you Love Food’s Food Peace™ Syllabus.
- Intuitive Eating, 3rd ed. by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch
- Health at Every Size by Linda Bacon
- The Rules of Normal Eating by Karen Koenig
- Megrette’s personal and professional guide to embracing a weight neutral approach to diabetes —> This week’s Food Peace Syllabus addition #1
- Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat by Michelle May and Megrette Fletcher
- Find Megrette at her website! —> This week’s Food Peace Syllabus addition #2
- Julie’s Love, Food letter
- Eating Disorder Dietitians can help your Food Peace™ journey. Get access to one near you here.
Do you have a complicated relationship with food? I want to help! Send your Dear Food letter to LoveFoodPodcast@gmail.com.